Friday, October 11, 2013

Essay 2-01c: Learning Languages

Today I would like to write about all of the languages I've learned. I've learned 4 languages including Japanese and English. Of course, I've learned Japanese while my life. I started to learn English when I entered junior high school. I've learned French. I studied it when I was first grade in this university. This year I'm learning Korean so I've learned 4 languages.

At first, I would like to write about Japanese. I was born in Fukushima, Japan because my mother was born and grew up there, that is, Fukushima is her home. So I've learned Japanese from my birth. At first, I learned it by listening, of course. I became able to write hiragana before entering an elementary school because my father and mother taught it to me.

After entering school, I learned hiragana, katakana and characters. Teachers taught it to me and my classmates. Learning characters was difficult but interesting. When we learn a character, my teacher and classmate say "Yoko (means to draw a line horizontally), Yoko, Tate (means to draw a line vertically), Yoko and Naname." loudly. I was so ashamed because my family name is Yokota so I was feeling like being called. haha

When I was a junior high school student, I learned characters of couse. In addition, I began to learn easy classics and the Chinese classics. It was so difficult to understand but my teacher taught to me and my classmate carefully. Thanks to her, I got good scores on tests. Now you say it, I had to memorize "Jetavana-vihara." It was more interesting than I had expected.

When I was a high school student, I learned classics and the Chinese classics. They were too difficult for me but I had to study for entering universities. I studied hard with my classmates. Japanese including them is too difficult but there are many learners of Japanese in the world. So, I respect them.

Second, I would like to write about English. I started to learn it when I entered junior high school. My English teacher was very funny so I enjoyed English classes. Thanks to her, I became to like English and I studied it very hard. Every day I studied at home. I did my reviews and preparation. I think I was good student. My old junior high school was near my house so I had more time than my friends. Thanks to it, I studied it very hard.

 When I was a third-year in junior high school, I took an English class as an optional subject. The teacher said “Listening to a radio English lesson is very good. Hope for you to do.” So I began to listen to a radio English lesson every day. It was a lot of fun but I didn't think that I became a good listener. However, it was very important to listen to English every day so I think that efforts didn't waste.

When I entered high school, I studied English very hard because my old high school was preparatory school. The way was almost for entering universities so I was good at writing, reading and grammar. These skills are called written language. I learned it in English Education class. I had few chance to talk with foreign people. That class was Oral communication class but I had it when I was first grade student in high school.

So when I entered this university, I was shocked. I couldn't speak at all. I couldn't listen at all. I wasn't good at speaking and listening, that is, spoken language. However, thanks to classes in this university I became good speaker and listener, maybe. I have talked with many foreign people. I'm glad to take classes from native teacher. This year, I had exams and got a chance to studying abroad to Montana State University from next summer as an exchange student. I'll do my best!

Third, I would like to write about French. I learned it when I was a first-year in this university. That's why I chose was lack of seriousness. My best friend from high school goes to a university in Tokyo to study French. So I chose it. Learning it was difficult but it was interesting. Tests are easy so I could get good scores. Someday I want to speak French fluently. If my best friend can go to French as an exchange student, I would like to go there.

The last, I'm learning Korean this year in this university. That's why I started is I want to improve my English skill, especially pronunciation. Pronunciation between Korean and English has many points of likeness. In addition, my cousin and my sister are studying abroad to Korea now so I was interested in Korea. Though I'm not interested in K-POP... I'm studying it one class in a week. I became able to read. It's difficult but interesting. I want to study more!

Learning languages is a lot of fun I think. I would like to study more and I want to be a good speaker, listener, writer and reader in Japanese, English, French and Korean. Next time, I want to try to study German and Spanish because these days these languages are in great demand I think but I don't do now because I don't want to leave it in this state. It's halfway. So I will do my best for studying languages just ahead.

[902 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment